Thursday, May 9, 2013

Our Lady of Take For Granted


Guarded by an Angel mild: Witless woe was ne'er beguiled! And I wept both night and day, And he 
wiped my tears away; And I wept both day and night, And hid from him my heart's delight. So he took his wings and fled.
-William Blake
 
I called Patti, our pest control person, at 7:30 this morning. “Call me.” the tone of my message a little urgent. She didn’t. So I called her again and again until she picked up.“ I know this is going to sound strange, but did you clean the mirror in my bathroom when you were here yesterday?” I asked, trying to not so accusatory. She cautiously answered “No. Why?”

How do I explain with out sounding like a crazy person? I tried to tell her we haven’t cleaned the mirror in seven months since the first Sightings. I tried to explain that seven months ago, a stain appeared on the mirror that looked like an angel, especially when the natural light from the window hit it. If I stood in front of the sink, the curious shape with arms and legs and feet and two wings reflected back in the exact center of the mirror over my heart. When I moved, it looked like she moved; not her position, just her wings.

We had no visitors yesterday, except Patti. Hadley can’t reach the mirror. Cole knows not to mess with it. My husband knows better too, anyway he was out of town. There were no long hot showers over night.  Besides, she had survived plenty of steamy showers, overflowing bubble baths and water fights. It didn’t change appearance in the slightest even when I carefully windexed around it. Now, it or she or whatever pronoun you assign to the unexplained has vanished.

I admit there were many days that I brushed my teeth and glanced past the reflection without seeing it. Weeks, maybe even months, probably went by without me once taking a moment to admire the subtle outline in front of me. What once made me marvel had slowly over time become just another part of the bathroom. A tub. A sink. A serephim.

I actually gasped when I turned on the light this morning and saw two streaks where Our Lady of Take For Granted once appeared. I don’t know why I thought I might feel better if Patti had admitted that she was just trying to tidy up. But an explanation of some human intervention had to be better than being left with no warning, no goodbye. I just assumed she would always be there when I cared to look. Was it something I did?  No, quite the opposite.

The Angel
By William Blake
I dreamt a dream!  What can it mean?
And that I was a maiden Queen
Guarded by an Angel mild:
Witless woe was ne'er beguiled!

And I wept both night and day,
And he wiped my tears away;
And I wept both day and night,
And hid from him my heart's delight.

So he took his wings, and fled;
Then the morn blushed rosy red.
I dried my tears, and armed my fears
With ten thousand shields and spears.

Soon my Angel came again;
I was armed, he came in vain;
For the time of youth was fled,
And grey hairs were on my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...