Saturday, February 23, 2013

My Best Day Ever


"What day is it?'
"It's today," squeaked Piglet.
"My favorite day," said Pooh
-A.A. Milne

My daughter’s almost daily declaration that “This is the best day ever!” is one of the driving inspirations of this blog experiment to Be More Childlike. I always admired how Hadley squeals in delight while driving through a carwash or how she jumps up in down with excitement at the prospect of going to the grocery store. I admired her exclamation points-after-every-sentence mentality, but I never fully grasped it, until yesterday. My first best day ever!


While on my hands and knees scrubbing our floors because the mop broke, I didn’t yet realize the day would go down in the history books. A three-generation, mother, daughter, grandmother lunch still didn’t tip me off at how the day would end.  A manicure with Hadley was an indulgence, but a treat we have enjoyed before. It was somewhere between the stop for ice cream after school and watching my son grow before my eyes on a paddle board that I started to catch a glimpse of that elusive concept of Now.  It is a rare experience, at least for me, to be fully in the moment and grateful as the moment is unfolding. Describe what that feels like? I will try.

It is like having a flower war under a giant Kapok tree! It is sort of like driving down a street you drive down every day, except this time, you notice a curious house painted in a sacred prayer for joy, alignment and waffles! It feels like pulling an illegal U-turn on a busy avenue to be a voyeur into the tattoo parlor where sacred prayers are inked on people! It is similar to introducing Mexican Pad Thai to unfamiliar taste buds than washing it down with spicy hot mangos! It is the sense of greeting your husband at the door like a long lost love and truly meaning it! It is that moment of laughing uncontrollably and inappropriately at the antics of MTV’s Jack Ass crew while staying up well past your bedtime! It is like pretending not to notice your dirty dog sneak into your just cleaned sheets! It is a lot like cuddling!
It is also like rushing to the grocery store when you don't have time and waiting in way too long of a line for the carwash, which also happened on my first best day ever! It is a lot like today, this very second in fact, depending on how you look at it!

What makes something the best day ever for you?

For today's "Sky's the Limit" on what you can learn: Since going to the carwash is equal to going to Disney in my daughter's worldview that everything is a wonderful adventure, I wanted to continue the theme on equality. 

Did you know that people who list their middle name as "equality" on Facebook and other social media sites are publicizing the fact that they are openly gay? Sort of the like "Friends of Bill W." became the code name for Alcoholics Anonymous, "equality" is now the code word for gay pride. It was started by a Florida activist that leads a gay and lesbian rights lobbying group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...