Monday, January 21, 2013

Do As I Say


Children are educated by what the grown up is and not by his talk.
-Carl Jung

Saying children are intuitive is not a revolutionary statement. I know my children are. I’m guessing we are all born this way. What varies is for how long do we keep in touch with it. When I witness these moments of “knowing” in my kids, I feel a sense of added pressure as a parent. How can I step out of the way and allow them to hang on to this gift? Even more important of a question, am I wordlessly teaching them all sorts of unwanted lessons?

Two days ago, I was silently obsessing in the car about my last blog post. The one about eating pain and feeling emotionally starved. My self critic was really having its way with me on its favorite topic, my weight. Than my daughter spoke up from the car seat in my defense .

"Mom, I like you  the way you are. I don’t like you skinny. I like you for you.” My 4-year old sage couldn’t be a silent bystander any longer in the face of this silent injustice.

She could hear my thoughts? Oh my goodness. What else has she heard? I don’t know why this encounter surprised me. A few days before this, she woke up and asked if I was working on my dog book. How did she know about my dog book? I had never told her about that idea. She said, “You told me last night. Remember?” No, I clearly remember sleeping last night. Did she pick up my idea from my dream?

People say actions speak louder than words. So do our thoughts. Is it possible that we stop using our intuition because we need to filter out all the unpleasant noise and unkind chatter around us?

What are you saying in your thoughts?

For today's "Sky's the Limit" on what you can learn: The City of the Silent. Did you know there is such a thing as a "Necropolis" or a city for the dead? A Necropolis was established in the 1920's North of San Francisco called Colma where the dead outnumber the living 2 to 1 with more cemeteries than subdivisions. The city's tagline:"It's Great to Be Alive in Colma". It's nickname is "The City of the Silent."





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...