Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Blank Pages


 Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. talent will not; nothing is more common than successful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated failures. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
-Calvin Coolidge

This morning, my daughter wanted to take pretend pictures at the dog park with her toy camera and describe them in her notebook, an old journal that she dug out of who knows where. Someone gave me the book at her baby shower.  The idea was to write letters to my baby throughout her childhood. When I turned back the turquoise embossed leather cover, I read my last letter from 4 years ago almost to the day. 

January 20th 2009
We are watching President Obama’s inauguration. His campaign was built on the concept of “change”. We see change daily with you. You are sitting up by yourself and gurgling Mama.

I finished the letter with telling her about our new routine of walking her brother to school in the morning. Like the journal entries, that practice of walking to school stopped four years ago too.  As January draws to an end, so does this month’s focus on childlike persistence. If I have learned anything this month, it is that I should probably be held back to repeat this subject.  “But I am an IDEAS person”, my right side says with grand eccentric hand gestures. The left side looks at that journal with its three beautiful  letters and shakes it’s half of my head. “What if you had not stopped? Think of the treasures that could be yours by now”?

August 21st, 2008
We are packing to go to the hospital…Cole just called from his room,are you ready for one of the best days of our lives?’

October 9th 2008
I bought a new Bob Marley Cd. We listen to it and dance around your room…. Many of the Rays players cut their hair in a mohawk for the play offs. You have a natural mohawk.

January 20th 2009
My nickname for you is “Happiness” and “LuLu Bird”. Your dad calls you “Baby Girl” and “Earth Angel”.

Instead of getting discouraged by the hundreds of blank pages and allowing the book to become lost and buried once more, I choose to fill the pages with broad bold strokes. I choose to believe it is never too to start again.  

January 23, 2013
Today you asked me to write down what you took imaginary pictures of at the dog park: Leaves, black and white dog, me (you) with red eyes, dog filled with hearts that looks like a unicorn, birds that I wish I could put on my finger. You also practiced signing your name.

How do you regard your blank pages?

For today's "Sky's the Limit" on what you can learn: It's National Pie Day! Yippee. I never knew. But thanks to the National Pie Council now I know about this very important American holiday. I also know that 36 million rate apple their favorite. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...