Sunday, December 23, 2012

Time Travel Tuesday- Nothing To Do

One's action ought to come out of an achieved stillness: not to be mere rushing on.
-D.H. Lawrence


This past week, there were plenty of events that I thought would qualify as play dates to write about for Time Travel Tuesday.  Tea with an old friend at an amazing new restaurant, shopping, cookie exchanges, making ginger bread houses, hosting parties, attending parties, the list goes on and on. I wanted to write about baking with my 13-year old son. The first thing he said as we broke out the flour was “Why don’t we do this more often?”. He also quoted a story from the first time we ever baked together. He was three and when it came time to crack the eggs, he suddenly became very concerned that he was breaking baby bird eggs. I asked him if he remembered saying that or if he remembered me telling him the story. It was the latter. Like when he was three, my son started very enthusiastically, but after licking the bowl- he was done. Baking can still only hold his interest for about 15 minutes. I ended up churning out 9 dozen cookies, by myself. 

So yesterday, with a pile of presents waiting to be wrapped, a stack of dirty dishes from our cookie exchange in the sink, a still incomplete list requiring yet another trip to the mall and three parties that I would not have time to attend, I laid in bed and did nothing. Finally, a true play date. I bought a movie on demand and vegged out. Not just any movie, a totally mindless, inappropriate movie. Ted with Mark Wahlberg starts out talking about humans losing touch with magic and not being able to see the world through childlike eyes. Sounded right up my alley. The story line is about a child’s Christmas wish for his teddy bear to come to life and be his best friend forever. Still, seems like a holiday classic for the whole family to enjoy.  It is, in fact, a well deserved rated R thanks to scenes like Mark Wahlberg getting spanked and his teddy bear bagging a clerk in a grocery store break room. Somewhere between the list of slutty chick names and the Flash Gordon references and the random cameo appearances from Ryan Reynolds and Tom Skerritt, I laughed out loud. Maybe, it was the trash talking about Philly girls or the behind the scenes interview with Ted Danson about Cheers or maybe it was the pet duck named James Franco. I howled. 

When is the last time you set aside all the things that are supposed to be fun and did nothing?

For today's installment of Sky's The Limit (on what you can learn), I learned how to roast chestnuts on an open fire. Thanks to my neighbor Ellen, who puts Martha Stewart, Paula Deen, Rachel Ray and every host on every DIY show to shame, I now know the secret to roasting chestnuts on an open fire. The trick is scoring them with a sharp knife in the shape of an X so they don't explode. We are headed to Ellen's on Christmas Day to roast a few nuts and let Jack Frost nip at our nose. For a more detailed description including tips on how to pick the best chestnuts, what kind of roaster to cook them on, how long to cook and what the finished nut should look like, check out this great post from the blog The Art of Manliness

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...