Sunday, December 30, 2012

Someone to Watch Over Me


We should pray to the angels, for they are given to us as guardians.
-Saint Ambrose

I just finished Sophy Burnham’s A Book of Angels.  It is a masterful blend of Burnham’s personal experiences, other people’s stories of lives saved and messages received. The New York Times bestseller includes exhaustive research that shows angels have been a part of every culture’s written history since before Christ was born. Dante’s Divine Comedy to John Milton’s Paradise Lost, William Blake to William Shakespeare, they all have drawn inspiration from other worldly guides or guardians. Burnham references mystics, scholars, painters, poets and religious leaders throughout this beautifully written classic. 

When A Book of Angels was first published in 1990, it sparked a renewed obsession with these beings. But as with all things, interest faded. People forget. At least I did. As I read the book, I remembered several divine interventions that I had not thought about in years. There was the time in high school, it was the first snow in Chicago and I was joy riding with a carload of kids around dinner time. We lost control on the Dan Ryan and spun in seemingly endless donut circles. More than 300,000 vehicles use that expressway everyday. But when our car came safely to a stop, there was not another vehicle anywhere in sight. There was the time I lost a sentimental diamond earring at a motorcycle rally in Daytona Beach. It was at night and there were a half million bikers in town. We drove back for two miles on the dark and busy road when I spotted a sparkle on the pavement that belonged to me! There was that little voice urging me to stop even though I was running late and I had the right of way. The car to my right kept going and t-boned a car turning left on the yellow light. It was a bad wreck, but not fatal. If I had kept going, the heavy TV news truck I was driving would have hit the compact car’s rear passenger side where a baby was strapped in a carseat. I shudder to think- what if. 

Any one of those experiences should be enough to make me a believer for life. But somehow I kept forgetting. I kept stumbling through life thinking I was alone. Shouldn’t I be rejoicing that someone up above thought that I was essential enough to keep around, instead of fearfully questioning my purpose? If a police officer saved me from a car wreck, would I feel a lifelong bond to them? At least, send a thank you card?

Burnham’s book inspired me to write down every event I could remember where there is no tangible explanation for what happened. I only wrote down events where the synchronicity was nothing short of miraculous. I recalled no less than thirteen life and death saves, one instance of much needed help, five messages, two warnings, three answered prayers and one whisper of an idea that I believe was a request being made of me. That is just what I was aware of. Just think about the lost keys that kept me from getting in the car or the countless “gut” decisions that steered me in one direction instead of another? If I knew, what would my list really look like? The numbers on my list showed a distinct pattern. Most of those life and death saves happened when I was young and acting recklessly. There were only three prayers answered I think because I don’t traditionally pray for specific requests. But these were big, inspired prayers. Sincere, want-with-all-my-heart prayers and they were answered! What would happen if I started asking for more? What if I trusted that voice that told me to stop at the yellow light every day instead of once in a while?

Do you want to feel truly blessed? Write down the unexplained experiences in your life.

For today's "Sky's the Limit" on what you can learn- the word Akashic keeps popping up. What does it mean? The akashic records are described as a  universal supercomputer, a library containing all knowledge of human experience and the history of the cosmos or the all knowing mind of God. The concept comes from Hindu beliefs and was popularized in Western culture through the Theosophical movement and by such writers as Edgar Cayce and Rudolph Steiner.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...