Monday, November 12, 2012

Sightings


The few wonders of the world only exist while there are those with the sight to see them.
-Charles De Lint

This month has been more about a lack of imagination than exploring mine. The past couple of weeks, I am ashamed to say I broke several rules on my absolute no list. Don’t waste time debating problems with no solution. Don’t waste time in useless conversations. Don’t forget to think about how other’s perceive my words and actions. Don’t speak before I think. The list goes on and on.

I have been caught up in a power struggle over something that, in the big picture, simply does not matter. Yet, I allowed it to suck the life out of me so there was no energy left for anything creative. No light, at all.

Than a strange thing happened. There were unusual sightings in our home. My husband had a vision first, than so did I. My husband spotted the first genuine smile he has seen on me in weeks. I woke up in a good mood. Than when I went into the bathroom, I saw what appears to be a fairy apparition on our medicine cabinet mirror. When you move your head from side to side, it looks just like the fairy’s iridescent wings actually move. I called the whole family into the bathroom. They saw it too. Of course, my son and husband just sort of shrugged it off as a neat toothpaste spot. But my daughter, exclaimed “I dreamt about Tinker Bell last night. This must be where she comes and goes through. It is her door!” she explained. “So she can visit her sister,” she reasoned. 

Where does she come up with these elaborate stories? Oh ya, that's right. She still has an active imagination.

Well, I'm not too far gone, if I was the one who spotted it. Or maybe I am too far gone, depending on how you look at it. You can put me in the same camp with people who see Jesus’ face in potato chips or the pilgrims who used to flock to that financial building on US-19 in nearby Clearwater, Florida. The one that the Catholic church eventually bought after someone noticed a figure on the windows that appeared to look like the Virgin Mary. Non-believers thought it was a stain from the sprinkler’s hard water. But hundreds of thousands of people got comfort and joy from that stain. The sick and the desperate prayed to that stain for miracles for eight years until vandals destroyed it in 2004.

I like seeing my fairy when I comb my hair, and put on make up. I am not windexing the stain away, in case she wants to come back. 

What do you see when you look at my medicine cabinet mirror?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...