Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Heart Monitor

Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
The other day I wrote about the controversial Indian guru Osho and his belief that intuition comes from the heart. I wrote about affirmations to open up your heart shakra. Sending messages of love and comfort to anyone who might need it that day. Than I packed up my computer to meet a  friend for lunch. To my surprise, she showed up wearing a heart monitor. This is my friend that is the high powered medical malpractice litigator. You have heard the joke about attorneys with no heart. She delivered quite a punch line when she collapsed in court. Not only does she have a heart, it appears to be broken. Seems stress and hating her job finally caught up with her. Now she has wires and gadgets sticking out of her clothes. She said that if the monitor alarm goes off, she needs to stop, rest and check how she is feeling.

Maybe my reaction was insensitive. But my first thought was we should all wear one of those things. So many years of being “asleep at the wheel” has led to a complete lack of body and emotional awareness. Do you eat when your hungry? Do you sleep when your tired? Do you cry when your sad? When your sad, do you know why? When your joyful, does there have to be a reason? 

These are all questions that I don’t always have the right answer to. I don’t know how I am feeling and worse I stopped wondering why a long time ago. This blog is a step in the re-awakening process for me.  It is my heart monitor. My friend waited until her body screamed for attention. Demanded it.  I don’t want to wait. But in a weird way, I am envious of her gadget. It takes the guess work out of it. She has to be introspective. She has to nurture herself. 

What is your heart monitor?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...