Sunday, September 2, 2012

In the Shallows


What you are comes to you.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Today while paddle boarding in our neighborhood bayou, two sharks swam past me. Yes, it is the ocean, so it shouldn’t be surprising. But I have lived in Florida 15 years and have only seen two sharks in all those years combined before today. In one case, I was swimming a mile off shore with my dog while someone was fishing off the side of the boat. Duh. But two at the same time? Two in shallow water that could not have been more than 3 feet deep? The herd of manatees lingering under their favorite dock and our resident curious dolphin who once swam alongside me, they I expect to see. I expect to see pink spoonbills, pelicans, egrets, herons and maybe the occasional stingray. Not sharks. 

The sharks, by the way, appeared a few minutes after I got the business from a grumpy fisherman who accused me of scaring away his fish. The encounter was about thirty minutes after a petty conversation that left me feeling agitated. Which makes me wonder, did my bad mood attract those sharks and the surly man with the pole?

Do you believe in the law of attraction?

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it was something to do with attending the RNC convention......I am just kidding,,,,,I could't stop myself....that was mean.....I really think it was something you shouldnt have missed if you got a chance to go....love pd

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...