Monday, September 3, 2012

A Novel Idea - Do What You Love


Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it.
-Steve Jobs


Glamping is the new trend in travel. I have been doing it for years, just didn’t realize there was a name for it or such a large market of travel consumers like me.  According to Urban dictionary, glamping is glamorous camping. Wine, comfy beds and a/c are a must. My friend, who owns Silver Bullet Retreats, delivers renovated vintage airstreams to your campsite and sets everything up right down to stringing the christmas lights and stacking wood in the fire pit. Now, that she has listed her little niche business on a few of the many glamping blogs and websites, she has to turn away business. I am going to have to get my reservation in now for our annual Fall camping glamping trip.

My point of sharing the word glamping on this Labor Day and Big Idea Monday is the reminder that sometimes great business ideas are really as simple as sharing something that you love with others. My friend loves glamorous camping. She loved her vintage airstream so much that she and her husband restored an extra one to rent out. Other people who love the outdoors and creature comforts connected their favorite destinations from around the world on websites like Glamping Hub Voila. New trend. I have another friend who took a cake decorating class at the same time I took a similar class several years ago. I just used the class to make my kids treats. My friend loved it so much, she quit her PR job and opened a chain of gourmet cupcake shops. This was long before anyone in Florida heard of Sprinkles. Now, there are three different gourmet cupcake shops in our little burg including hers, The Cupcake Spot . Voila. New Trend.

So here is my idea for this BIM: A travel website featuring historic tourist attractions and old Florida themed day trips. New York City and Chicago offer local volunteers for guided walking tours on websites like Free Tours By Foot and Chicago Greeter. My site would not only include statewide information about historic venues and off the beaten path day trips. It would also be a resource directory with contact information for local tour guides in the tiny towns who know everything like the best family owned restaurants to the best swimming holes. My first tour guide recruit will be the Ruskin farmer who  showed us the tomato fields that used to be the land where Universal Studios made movies back in the 1940's. He also pointed out a dead end street that is home to a huge parrot rescue and a gigantic banyan tree growing through a 100-year old house. He knew shortcuts and best views of the Skyway. You can't get that on Expedia or Trip Advisor. Real locals. Hidden Treasures. Stories of the past. That is what I love! 

What do you think? Is there something that you love? Is there a way you can share it with others and turn your love into your work?

1 comment:

  1. 1. I am loving that airstream. Am going to call her, just need to figure out where I want to go. You are such a wealth of great ideas and connections, Tracey!!!

    2. I. Love. This. Idea. For the Old Florida travel site. I'll happily write you some guest posts about my faves: Florida Everglades Muckabout, Cassadega, Micanopy, Islamorada and Palm Coast.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...