Saturday, August 25, 2012

What Katy Perry and a Swami Guru have in common



Need nothing to complete myself. No. I'm wide awake.
-Katy Perry

Do you remember the father character from My Big Fat Greek Wedding? The guy who could connect any word’s origin back to the Greeks? I found a real example today. Enthusiasm. According to Swami Chidvilasananda’s book titled Enthusiasm, the word comes from the Greek word enthusiasmos. En means in or within. Theos means God. The Yoga guru’s interpretation is that when you are filled with enthusiasm, you are filled with God. When you are enthusiastically embracing life, you are fully conscious and you are fully aware of the awesome potential within yourself. 

I thought about that definition on my walk this morning. The more I thought about it, the warmer the sun felt, the more refreshing the breeze, the friendlier the parents at the park. The observation that really got me was the swarm of dragon flies. It felt like we were surrounded. It felt like they were following us home. Crazy, right? Maybe. But I wonder if a few months ago when I wasn’t in a more mindful place, if I would have noticed any of it. Come to think of it, not sure I would have even taken the time to walk or had new friends to walk with. 

The book Enthusiasm is Chidvilasananda’s expanded thoughts on a 1996 New Year’s message or sermon to: Be filled with enthusiasm and sing God’s glory. I am going to a ladies luncheon tea party today with another new friend who was a former professional singer. Whenever we have deep discussions, she always relates the topic to song lyrics. So I thought I would beat her to it and found the lyrics to Katy Perry's Wide Awake. The line where she says: need nothing to complete myself seemed very similar to the book. If you can get past the pink hair for a moment, watch the Wide Awake video and notice how the pop star shows herself only being wide awake when she is connected to herself as a child. A totally different way of expressing the same spiritual message.

Do you have anything in common with pop stars and gurus? Are you enthusiastic?

I'm wide awake.
I'm wide awake.
I'm wide awake.
Yeah, I was in the dark.
I was falling hard
With an open heart
I'm wide awake
How did I read the stars so wrong
I'm wide awake
And now it's clear to me
That everything you see
Ain't always what it seems
I'm wide awake
Yeah, I was dreaming for so long
[Pre-Chorus]
I wish I knew then
What I know now
Wouldn't dive in
Wouldn't bow down
Gravity hurts
You made it so sweet
Till I woke up on
On the concrete
[Chorus]
Falling from cloud 9
Crashing from the high
I'm letting go tonight
(Yeah I'm) Falling from cloud 9
I'm wide awake
Not losing any sleep
I picked up every piece
And landed on my feet
I'm wide awake
Need nothing to complete myself - nooohooo
I'm wide awake
Yeah, I am born again
Outta the lion's den
I don't have to pretend
And it's too late
The story's over now, the end
[Pre-Chorus]
I wish I knew then
What I know now
Wouldn't dive in
Wouldn't bow down
Gravity hurts
You made it so sweet
Till I woke up on
On the concrete
[Chorus]
Falling from cloud 9
Crashing from the high
I'm letting go tonight (yeah, I'm letting go)
I'm Falling from cloud 9
Thunder rumbling
Castles crumbling
I am trying to hold on
God knows that I tried
Seeing the bright side
But I'm not blind anymore...
I'm wide awake
I'm wide awake
[Chorus]
Yeah, I'm Falling from cloud 9
Crashing from the high
You know I'm letting go tonight
I'm Falling from cloud 9
I'm wide awake
I'm wide awake
I'm wide awake
I'm wide awake
I'm wide awake


1 comment:

  1. I love this post Tracy. Have loved the lyrics to this Katie Perry song. Now seeing the video, I love the song even more. Getting in touch with our inner child is something we all need to do. In the wise words of Black Elk, "The hearts of little children are pure, and therefore, the Great Spirit, may show to them many things which older people miss." To end the video with a beautiful butterfly was brilliant. Butterflies signify transformation. Thank you so much for sharing this. Sending sunshine and faery magic. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...