Sunday, August 5, 2012

There is an App for That!


Diligence is the mother of good luck
-Benjamin Franklin

So I went in search of a calendar or a journal to follow through on Friday’s post about measuring my efforts toward a more virtuous life Things That Count. But the options looked like they would just add clutter to my already overflowing desk and purse. So I went in search of an App. After all, like Benjamin Franklin’s trusty pocket notepad, my iPhone is always nearby. Oh my. Who knew the choices? Did you know there is a Benjamin Franklin Virtue App?  Ben even has his own Facebook Fan page! The reviews for the Ben’s Virtue App said you could only track Franklin’s 13 virtues the way the inventor did it, which is one a week for 13 weeks and than repeat. I wanted to customize. Which than raised the question, which virtues? If I chose moderation, how would I measure specifics like diet? I didn’t want to clog up my phone with separate apps for each habit. After reading reviews on: Daily Do, The Wheel of Life, Life Balance, Goal Chart, and finding more than a dozen just to measure the habit of meditation, I tried a $.99 cent one-size fits all called Habits Pro. It proved too complicated for me. It took a couple of minutes to go through the tutorial for Way of Life ($4.99), something Habit Pro did not offer. But in less than five minutes, I programmed Way of Life to track the following areas:
Enthusiasm, Optimism, Gratitude, Awareness, Time Management, Absolute No List, Meditating, Flossing, Exercising, Tracking My Diet 
Yes, I realize flossing is not a virtue. But after spending five thousand dollars on gum surgery a couple of months ago, it is a habit that will help me with the virtue of frugality. I don’t want to waste money on surgery for something preventable again. I also realize that I am going to have to use a different App to track specifics of my diet. For that, I found MyNetDiary really user-friendly with tons of common foods already programmed with nutritional information. My "Absolute No List" Five Short Years covers a wide range of things that I don’t want to waste time on anymore so that goes a long with Time Management, but it is a bit different.
Habit Pro shows a simple red for no, green for yes mark daily. There is a place for notes. It offers charts for weekly and monthly progress. For the record, below is my actual virtue list for the next year’s experiment in striving to be more childlike as well as Ben’s list!
My List:  Optimism, Awareness, Enthusiasm, Curiosity, Intuition, Imagination, Faith, Persistence, Innocence, Sincerity, Playfulness and Simplicity
Ben’s List: Temperance, Silence, Order, Resolution, Frugality, Industry, Sincerity, Justice, Moderation. Cleanliness, Tranquilty, Chastity, Humility.

I am enthusiastic about having a new toy/tool to help keep me honest!

What is your favorite or most helpful App?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...