Friday, August 17, 2012

Equipoise


Toleration is the greatest gift of the mind; it requires the same effort of the brain that it takes to balance oneself on a bicycle.
-Helen Keller

Do you ever learn about something completely new to you and than discover that it is not new at all or its been in front of you all along? Maybe it is a philosophy or model of car or a technology. 

For me, it is the word equipoise. It means equal distribution of weight, even balance; equilibrium or counterpoise. I first saw equipoise in a book written by the Dalai Lama and had to look up the definition. Than I was channel surfing and some C-span interview had some political guy using it in a sports reference. Than I heard it again somewhere in conversation and now it is stuck in my head.  All I know is I could use some today and so can the world around me.

Google has 1.4 million search results for equipoise. I'm venting here, but I think I would have several fingers left over if I were counting the number of instances I have seen it with my own eyes. Everybody is rushing around to get ready to host the RNC here in Tampa Bay. Can't say there is a right presidential candidate or a wrong party, but the news coverage across the board is the opposite of equipoise. There is no objective flow of information any more. Remember when ideals like fairness and balance were taught in schools. If the media is a mirror of our society, we (I am including myself here) need to look in it once in a while. No the word is not new, but it may be forgotten unless people start using it in context and speaking with their inside voices. 

Really curious to hear other people's experiences with little coincidences that pop up, like a word that won't go away. What do you do about them?





1 comment:

  1. In what ways do you think the media coverage is unbalanced?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...