Friday, July 6, 2012

Five Short Years

"The future is sending back good wishes and waiting with open arms.
-Kobi Yamada, Author

Did you know Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel in less than five years? The Founder of Amazon, Jeff Bezos, went from living in a 500-square foot apartment to a net worth of $10 billion in five years too. Columbus discovered the New World in less time than that.

I picked up a sweet little book today called "Where Will You Be Five Years From Today" Author Dan Zadra's concept is to inspire others to think about what they can accomplish in five years or 260 weeks or 1,825 days or 2,333,000 minutes. 

I have spent several of my precious minutes the past two days working on a business and marketing plan for a little dream of mine, creating a blog that will change the world. It occurred to me that before that dream can be realized, I need to be intentional. That means not wasting a single precious second doing things that are not in support of my personal mission to: enjoy each day and inspire others to see the world through wider, brighter, more childlike eyes.

So here is how I will NOT be spending the next five years or five minutes:

*Make decisions based on obligation or guilt.

*Fail to schedule time to do the things that I enjoy.
*Neglect to consider my feelings and needs.

*Speak before I think.

*Participate in gossip or judgemental talk.
*Forget to think about how others perceive my thoughts and actions.
*Give unsolicited opinions and advice.
*Stay silent if I witness an injustice.
*Hire anyone who does not treat me respectfully.
*Continue a professional relationship when I am not satisfied with the quality of the work.
*Swallow my emotions when I am hurt or angry.
*Attempt to communicate my feelings when I am too angry/hurt to remain in control.
*Waste time on useless conversations.
*Waste time thinking about troubling situations without taking action.

*Waste anyone else's time by not being direct or being present.

*Throw away anything that can be recycled.

*Take/buy more than we need of anything.
*Feel guilty.
*Get involved in other people’s dramas unless I can take direct action and help.
*Invest in relationships with people that are not aligned with my values.
*Eat when Im not hungry, bored, in front of the TV, in the car, while I am cooking dinner, when I am upset or too rushed to enjoy my meal.
*Take calls or check emails during meals.
*Text while in the car!!!!

*Volunteer my time for any charity that does not have the staffing or management systems in place to follow through and utilize my valuable contributions.
*Allow bills to be paid without reviewing them first. 

I leave you with this question: What is your mission? 

1 comment:

  1. Great post. We are limited only by what we believe is possible.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...