Sunday, June 17, 2012

It should be an Olympic sport


In art and dream, may you proceed with abandon. In life, may you proceed with balance and stealth.
-Patti Smith, The Godmother of Punk Rock




 My childlike activities this week  included letting balloons go and hotel bed jumping. I did both with my 3-year old daughter which made me feel like a young, cool mom. But when I looked up images for these activities, I felt less than original. Did you know there is a blog dedicated to hotel bed jumping Hotel Bed Jumping Blog?  Did you further know there is a Facebook page dedicated to letting balloons go?Letting Balloons Go
It is like stumbling upon a strange underworld. You would be amazed how many people are willing to strike a pose in mid air and than share the evidence. How do they get those superman flying pictures? Surely it is not all Photoshop. Somebody had to jump, jump, and jump some more to capture facial expressions of pure reckless abandon while their feet are a yard above the nearest pillow or blanket. Next time you are in a less than firm, creaky hotel bed, think about that! Even though it was a blast, there are practical reasons why I can't make a habit of this at home. Broken beds and chipped teeth come to mind, but mainly in our 90-year old house, I don’t want to go crashing through any ceilings.
As for the balloon release,  it seems there are hundreds of adult fans of this practice too. I have seen it done at memorials and weddings. But just because? That was new to me. Usually when my daughter accidentally lets one slip away, we wave goodbye and tell it to have a great time at Disney. We like to think all free floating balloons head there. To quiet the environmentalists who consider this a form of littering, let me just say it was only three little balloons. We let one go and it was so enjoyable and fleeting, we had to do it again. No wishes. No deep sentimental healing process stuff. We just watched them for as long as we could until they disappeared.

It was a little magical how you can follow them for several seconds, but if you happen to blink, they are just gone. Kind of like childhood.....
Today I leave you with this question: When is the last time you did something just because?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...